The U-22 can be bus-powered via USB and its compact form factor is perfect for use with a laptop or iPad*. The innovative design provides quick access to connectors, knobs, and controls for effortless setup and operation. The U-22 features a single high-performance, low-noise mic preamp—the same as the acclaimed H6 Handy Recorders—with less than -120 dBu EIN, as well as recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz.
Our comments: We are very impressed with these new sound interfaces from Zoom. The U-22 can be battery powered and used as a stand-alone hydrophone preamp for listening. For recording and real-time monitoring, you can expect self noise to be well below any common sea state noise. Response is very linear (max sample rate, +0/3dB: 5Hz - 43KHz line; 12Hz - 43KHz mic). Sensitivity and dynamic range are respectable for a product in this price range. The drivers seem solid and were easy to install. We can highly recommend it for any user in need of a low-cost recording interface or data acquisition device for underwater sound! Use directly with our H2dX or H3x hydrophones. Also works well with our PA6 hydrophone preamp. For loud underwater sounds, you can connect our passive hydrophones directly to the Hi-Z input, but for general recording applications, we recommend using the mic input for improved sensitivity. For leak detection: This is a popular low-cost amp for leak detection contractors. It is small, professional-looking, has the same great high-gain, low-noise preamp as used in the H5 recorder, and the "direct monitor" switch can be used as a convenient mute switch while moving the hydrophone.
* Requires 2 AA batteries or optional AC adapter for power, plus an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter for connection to iPad.
The U-22 offers a long list of features. For complete details, images, videos and user manual, visit the Zoom U-22 manufacturer's web page.
Features at a glance:
- Stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad
- Connect to iPad with Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB
- Camera Adapter (sold separately), plus 2 AA batteries or optional AC adapter
- for power
- XLR/TRS input with high-performance mic preamp
- High-quality recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz
- Approximately 5 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries
- Includes download code for Ableton Live 9 Lite
- Hi-Z support
- Zero-latency direct monitoring
- Dedicated RCA L/R and headphone outputs
- Gain control knob for Mic/Hi-Z input
- +48V phantom power
- Accepts standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
Included with the U-22:
- Operation manual
- Ableton Live 9 Lite software download code
- USB Cable