The U-22 can be bus-powered via USB and its compact form factor is perfect for use with a laptop or iPad*. The innovative design provides quick access to connectors, knobs, and controls for effortless setup and operation. The U-22 features a single high-performance, low-noise mic preamp—the same as the acclaimed H6 Handy Recorders—with less than -120 dBu EIN, as well as recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz.
Our comments: We are very impressed with these new sound interfaces from Zoom. The U-22 can be battery powered and used as a stand-alone hydrophone preamp for listening. For recording and real-time monitoring, you can expect self noise to be well below any common sea state noise. Response is very linear (max sample rate, +0/3dB: 5Hz - 43KHz line; 12Hz - 43KHz mic). Sensitivity and dynamic range are respectable for a product in this price range. The drivers seem solid and were easy to install. We can highly recommend it for any user in need of a low-cost recording interface or data acquisition device for underwater sound! Use directly with our H2a-XLR or H3x hydrophones. Also works well with our PA-4 hydrophone preamp. For loud underwater sounds, you can connect our passive hydrophones directly to the Hi-Z input, but for general recording applications, we recommend using the mic input for improved sensitivity. For leak detection: This is a popular low-cost amp for leak detection contractors. It is small, professional-looking, has the same great high-gain, low-noise preamp as used in the H5 recorder, and the "direct monitor" switch can be used as a convenient mute switch while moving the hydrophone.
* Requires 2 AA batteries or optional AC adapter for power, plus an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter for connection to iPad.
The U-22 offers a long list of features. For complete details, images, videos and user manual, visit the Zoom U-22 manufacturer's web page.
Features at a glance:
- Stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad
- Connect to iPad with Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB
- Camera Adapter (sold separately), plus 2 AA batteries or optional AC adapter
- for power
- XLR/TRS input with high-performance mic preamp
- High-quality recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz
- Approximately 5 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries
- Includes download code for Ableton Live 9 Lite
- Hi-Z support
- Zero-latency direct monitoring
- Dedicated RCA L/R and headphone outputs
- Gain control knob for Mic/Hi-Z input
- +48V phantom power
- Accepts standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
Included with the U-22:
- Operation manual
- Ableton Live 9 Lite software download code
- USB Cable